NEW: On-Campus EH&S Hazardous Material Shipping Office which includes services for hazardous materials is located at 191 SW 35th Street, Corvallis Or 97330. It is just past Motor Pool, Between OSU Radiation Center and the USDA NFSPRC. The map below shows the location circled in red.

Department Hazmat Shipping Form

Hazardous material/dangerous goods include any substance that is Flammable, Corrosive, Reactive, Oxidizing, Explosive, or Toxic, as well as Radioactive and Biologically Infectious materials and Compressed Gasses.

Some commonly shipped examples would be:

  • Batteries
  • Specimens preserved in a solvent (alcohol, formaldehyde)
  • Lab chemicals/samples
  • Cylinders
  • Dry ice
  • Common household items such as spray paint, cleaners, perfume, etc.

Hazardous Materials, referred to as Dangerous Goods for shipping purposes or DG by carriers, are substances or materials that have been determined by the Dept. of Transportation to be capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce. Violations can lead to civil penalties and large fines.

EH&S provides all DG shipping services for OSU. Only trained personnel are authorized to package and ship hazardous materials from OSU’s main campus. Never ship a material you suspect is hazardous without going through Printing and Mailing. Off-campus operations who are unable to ship from the main campus must use a freight forwarder (this includes FedEx/UPS if they will accept the shipment) with the appropriate certifications. When in doubt contact EH&S.

Note: The Radiation Center and Veterinary Medicine departments have the ability to package and ship radioactive and biologically hazardous substances directly.


Additional Resources

If Shipping From Off-Campus

Contact EH&S for a consultation and then take the material to a professional shipping company or freight forwarder such as FedEx or UPS.

OPEN: 8:30am to 11:30am